COMMERCIAL SITE DEVELOPMENT
JULIA IDESON LIBRARY
Balfour Beatty Construction
ABOUT THE PROJECT
Constructed in 1926, the Julia Ideson Library is one of Houston’s most cherished historical landmarks. Due to its historical significance, Phoebe Tudor along with the Julia Ideson Library Preservation Partners began raising funds in 2007 to restore the building to its full glory. By 2010, the group had raised over $32 million to restore and expand the library.
The redesign called for a 15,000 SF building addition and a new outdoor reading area. WGA’s responsibilities included research and coordination with the design team to ensure proper site drainage and sanitary sewer service. The project was constructed within budget and through research and due diligence, WGA was able to limit the infrastructure needed for expansion, thus, eliminating unnecessary costs.
In December 2011, the Julia Ideson Library re-opened to the public. It was quickly praised by the community and was named the 2012 Historic Renovation Landmark Award winner by the Houston Business Journal.